First week in UK



For every IMG, first week in UK in very hectic, both physically and emotionally.

Here is a list of what all you need to sort out in the first week.

1. Accommodation: If you haven't sorted this out before coming to UK.
2. Collect your BRP. The place of collection will be mentioned on your Tier 2 visa letter.
3. Open your bank account. You will need your passport, BRP, address proof(tenancy agreement) and a letter from your HR mentioning your salary and your address.(Please note that not all banks need all these documents. But if you have these four, no bank will say No to opening a new account)
4. Meet your HR: Complete your ID check and discuss about your start date.
5. Make an occupational health appointment.
6. Enroll yourself with the local GP.  Open Google maps and type GP surgery. You will get a location of all the GPs in your area. Look out for a GP near you and search for their website online. In their website, you will find an 'Enroll New' form. Fill that up and go to the GP with your BRP/Passport and your address proof(tenancy agreement or a letter from HR)

My first week experience:


Day 1 (Monday):
Reached Kettering. Settled in my accommodation.

Day 2:
Went to Northampton to collect my BRP. Explored the city.

Day 3:
Opened my bank account with HSBC. I walked in without an appointment and I was immediately attended to. The banker then explained me the options available and what all the bank would offer. I was shown a video about it too. A credit card was also offered to me despite having no credit history. All of this took and hour and a half. Once this was done, I was given an opening letter which contained my account number and the SORT code. It is this letter that you need to show to your HR so that they can add you to the payroll.
Later, went for grocery/ kitchenware shopping.

Day 4:
Met my HR. Unfortunately, the earliest occupational health appointment that I could manage to get was on 15th October and my HR wouldn't allow me to start till then. I requested for an earlier appointment and was given 8th. Apparently, the occupational health department has a vaccination campaign next week and hence there are no appointments available next week! So I basically have to wait till 8th of October to start.

Day 5:
Enrolled myself with a GP near my hospital.

Overall, my first week was like a roller-coaster ride. I was happy professionally as I knew that I would have great potential to grow as a doctor. But the very fact that I would be living away from my parents and home for a very long period and probably a lifetime, made me jittery. The thought of leaving my parents away when they grow old has always been on my mind since I arrived. Having never stayed away from my parents and home, I have been so homesick that I contemplated going back home!
However, I have decided to give myself a 3 month time before I take a decision on going back to India. Only time will tell..